Monday, July 31, 2006

Only you

I read an article a few weeks ago about loneliness, and it made me really sad.

Not necessarily because I felt I could identify with it on a daily basis, but because I have experienced in the past, and certainly will again, the sickening pang of fear upon the realization that sometimes it’s me and only me, and am up I to the challenge?

Dealing with those feelings, fleeting though they were, was challenging, and the intensity of the sensation of relief that washed over me when I talked sense into myself and picked up the phone to reach out to a friend or family member was tremendous. But it made me think: what if that feeling never went away? What if that sinking, pervasive and all-encompassing sense of aloneness was perpetual, a constant companion, something you had to carry around with you like a heavy handbag, or ten extra pounds you want to lose and can’t?

I got to thinking about this on Saturday night while I was out celebrating a friend’s birthday. (Leave it to me to start worrying about being lonely as I’m throwing back glasses of red wine as if they were water, in the accompaniment of five good friends). However, there was a man at the bar we were at, mid-forties, with a Philip Seymour Hoffman air about him. Top-heavy, balding, poorly dressed, and very much alone.

The man bopped about the bar, dancing as if he were the only one in the room, which from his perspective, may very well have been true. He started off hopeful. Imitating some of his younger, more attractive male counterparts, he tried grabbing the hands of a few women, hoping they would go along, would just start dancing with him. Time and time again the technique proved disastrous, until one older, bolder woman placed both hands on his Point Zero-covered chest and gave him a good, hard shove. Deterred but not entirely discouraged, he started dancing alone. He would alternate swaying movements with fast-spinning, both-arms-out movements, banging into couples, bachelor party members, single women and men alike, oblivious. Or was he?

Watching this, I remembered reading somewhere that for a person to maintain a healthy emotional equilibrium, he must come into physical contact with at least three people a day. Animals could be substituted.

Imagine not having anyone in your life to touch, no one to hug you, hold your hand, pat you on the back, and so you leave your 1 ½ and you set out for Peel Street and you pay your $7 cover charge, buy yourself a drink because there is no one else who will do that for you and you close your eyes and spin to an overly jazzed-up rendition of ‘Spank’ and hope to reach out, touch, feel, connect?

7 comments:

X said...

He was probably drunk. Sigh, poor Joe, drinking his lonliness away. Or maybe he was celebrating Gay Pride weekend but as a proud straight man! :)

Yeah loneliness sucks, I hear you on that. I would like an honest to goodness man-hug, lol. Or at least man nakedness. I think a visit to 281 is in order :P

Anonymous said...

Hehe, I don’t know if 281 will solve the problem but it might reduce the effects for a little while :P

I've been thinking about this same exact thing lately... Some days you feel ok with yourself, the other day you would sell your soul for a hug. At the end of the last relationship, I decided to take a good break... but now it turned into a curse, can't seems to get things back to normal :P I hope I will never end up like poor Joe at the Bar !

Anyway, no need to worry about it, life has this way of always putting a special someone on our path when we need it the most. Just stay positive ! :)

Heather said...

Steph, a foray into the depths of despair that inhabits 281 might make me want to take a flying leap off of something high! I think I'll take your advice and try to stay positive.
And, if you ever end up like Joe, I hereby pledge to take it upon myself to buy you the said drink and bash into you with my bad dancing as many times as it takes for you to feel better.

Katie: Amen, sister.

MontrealGurl said...

I would give almost anything to Dance Like No One Is Watching...

X said...

LOL H...strippers, is there anything they can't do? :)

Steph - I hear you about the curse....I have the same type of curse. And we thought we were smart! LOL

Anonymous said...

It seems a lot of people are stuck with at one moment or an other. The firs thing you know, you have been single for years !

Heather said...

Oh lordy guys. I feel like I'm holding a one-way ticket to bohemian-spinster-cat-and-houseplant-ladyville.
I refuse! We should all refuse!