Tuesday, July 11, 2006

I’ll take the trees

I get razzed sometimes for living on the West Island, but as I went for a walk in my new neighborhood last night, I realized why I like living where I do so much.

There is a maple tree on one of the streets near me that is so massive, its owners have attached all these wild-looking cables to keep its branches from flopping over. It takes up practically the entire lawn, and I can just picture the kids who live there hiding underneath that incredible tree when it rains, the thousands of green leaves shielding their baseball-capped heads from getting wet.

The lawn is a little overgrown, a few dandelions dot the front yard, and yet instead of invoking judgments of laziness, these bright yellow weeds and long grass seem to say to passersby, ‘sorry, I was too busy enjoying a beautiful afternoon in the pool, with my friends and family to bother about lawn care.’ And I like this.

I also like the fact that I am about 142 steps from a little corner store that sells fat-free (come on, 97% is as good as) Haggen Daaz vanilla frozen yogurt. Yes, it’s $6 a pop, but when it’s that good, who’s counting?

3 comments:

X said...

I know that store. I love that store. I NEED that store. I also need some HD action, but that will be in a few weeks, wehn I drop some excess poundage!

Heather said...

Well sister, when you're ready, head on out my way! We can HD it together...:)

Anonymous said...

You know, people always dissmed me for living in the west too(Ok, full disclosure, I lived in Westmont) but my rent was super, super cheap and we lived right next to that big park with the english library. I loved that park. Anyway, we were in walking distance of some pretty cool places-and at least the snow plow came through on a regular basis.