Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It's for you!

As I was standing in line for the Britcom show last night at Just for Laughs, I was privy to a conversation being had by a rather large group of 40-something women. In between bits of boisterous laughter, complaints about teenager daughters, the colours of this season's golf pants and the pros and cons of home-cooked meals verses takeout, one of the members of the group warned her comrades that it was time to shut off their cell phones, so as not to disrupt others during the show.

On cue, charms, theme songs, beeps and flashing lights went off, as these women disconnected from their husbands, babysitters, and daughters named Courtney. However, delving into the World Without Cellphone proved problematic for one of the women.

"I don't know HOW to shut off my cell!" she cackled, staring at her pink, sparkly Razor confusedly.

Um, is no one else concerned about the possibility that Montreal is a city that houses people who are incapable of performing the strikingly simple act of closing a cellular telephone? Has no other occasion in this woman's life proven to be important enough as to provide the impetus for learning how to perform this task? Is no one else frightened by this?

Let's just say that my friend and I made certain to find seats far, far away from "Mrs. I-don't-know-how-to-shut-off-my-phone." I'm just speculating here, but I don't think it would be that much of a stretch to assume that someone who has never, ever shut off their phone, has a spectacularly irritating ring on their cell. A digital version of 'Stop in the name of love,'or 'Hey Jude' comes to mind...

2 comments:

X said...

OMG those women were insane! They had extreme issues. I think we should send them to outer space so they will never be heard from again since they probably don't know how to turn ON a cell phone either.

Heather said...

Weren't they positively brutal?! I don't know how people get like that, honestly.