Saturday, July 08, 2006

And then it changes

I was recently voted in to join a board of directors for a women's shelter. I had my first meeting at the home yesterday. As I walked through the communal kitchen, as I navigated my way through bruised faces and sunken eyes, crying babies and open jars of mashed pears, it made me feel more than a bit silly for yesterday's post.

Being married is not the goal. Helping other women, young old, wealthy and strikingly poor, work their way out of painful and destructive relationships is a much better one, and a much better place to direct one's energy.

2 comments:

X said...

Don't feel guilty. Reality is part perception....so don't compare your life to other people's lives, it will only have a bad affect on you. We could easily say that X situation in our lives doesn't compare to the man who has cancer....but it's different and since we have never been in his shoes, we can't say that our X situation is comparable. A slight exaggeration, but you get my drift! :)

I'm so proud of you for helping out in the community!! :)

Heather said...

That's a good point, Katie. It's true. You know me and my ghastly, bleeding heart!