Saturday, September 09, 2006

Date this

This dating business. I don’t think I’m cut out for it. Somehow, feeling like I’m going to throw up while trying to coax a meal down my throat feels more like torture than fun. Trying to make small talk, while keeping a smile plastered to my face, one that doesn’t betray the fact that I can no longer feel my legs for the umpteen glasses of wine I’ve drunk in an effort to find something to do in between awkward silences, is not my idea of a brilliant way to spend a Saturday evening.

And what are first dates, anyway? Does he really care what the name of my best friend is? Where I went to high school? Do I really care where he went on vacation last summer? Do I really feel the need to press for details about his wisdom teeth removal? I hate the superficiality of dating. I hate trying to get to know someone who I am fully aware is not acting like himself, because he is likely just as nervous as I am. I hate that I make someone nervous.

I think first dates shouldn’t involve the two people in question actually spending time together at all. They should involve a two-way mirror phenomenon, so that you can observe the behaviour of your potential date in a setting where nerves, awkward cheque-paying scenarios, door-holding fumbles and frantic searches for something to wear, are entirely eliminated. And the futile wish for a sick bag taped to the underbelly of the dinner table wouldn’t even be on the radar.

12 comments:

MontrealGurl said...

Call me if you're still up - I've got plenty of stories that may make you feel better... Ones about stalking women, meaning they sit in their cars and watch this one guy while eating out of Slunch bags. Yes, you heard me right, slunch bags. It's lunch and supper because they stay so long!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they all care about those details about best friends or who you are, but some do care. This whole thing goes in both directions... do you care?

It grows to be superficial the moment you let it become. I still think that if you don't like the rules of a game, it’s better then to avoid playing it.

Arthur Willoughby said...

I found my wife at work and it was a great move. It allowed us to get to know each other in a neutral environment so that when we did finally go on a bona fide date, we had the small talk out of the way.

Heather said...

That's such a nice story, Arthur. It seems a lot of people meet that way.

Arthur Willoughby said...

I think it's growing more acceptable since people spend so much time at work...

I dunno, Heather. I've heard so many horror stories about modern dating. Just meeting folks out of the blue is difficult and maybe even dangerous. Set-ups by friends are awkward.

Take me back to the good old days when a fella could just club a chick on the head.

X said...

Maybe if we start dating magicians that scenario could come true. Know any great guys named Houdini? :P

I'm sick of it too....especially when you can't muster up the courage try and make a move that would lead to the first date. LOL, I will forever be single! Single girls unite! :)

Heather said...

You know, Arthur, I think men still do club us over head, in a sense. And yet, we keep going back for more. Figure that one out.

K -Did I tell you I've been shopping for a cat and a new housecoat? You can come be eternally single with me.

Arthur Willoughby said...

Men are pigs.

Anonymous said...

Check it ou homes history and aluminum siding if your building homes go to Http://siding11.com/side.pl?y=helper. butt if you want to learn to install siding then..... What are you waiting for.. Learn more about history and aluminum siding

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know how awful it is, and yet I wonder if I never go out on dates I feel like I'm not trying.
My worst date? an amatuer wreslter who hit people over the head with the bible in the wrestling rink.
One tries to be open minded.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know how awful it is, and yet I wonder if I never go out on dates I feel like I'm not trying.
My worst date? an amatuer wreslter who hit people over the head with the bible in the wrestling rink.
One tries to be open minded.

Heather said...

Wow, Dianna. I think that takes the cake. How did it go this week, though? Any success?