Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Shed a little light

Last night, I spent two and a half hours discussing whether or not there should in fact be windows in apartment bathrooms and it was time extremely well spent.

Six women and I, crowded around a table spread with countless architectural drawings, shortbread cookie crumbs, sweet & low wrappers and coffee cups, to discuss the details of the apartment complex that will soon serve as a second stage house for female victims of domestic violence and their children.

I truly believe that it takes a group of women to be sensitive to details such as a windowless bathroom, and the sentiments that darkness will inevitably invoke in the woman who wakes up each morning to shower within it.

It was my second board of directors meeting with this group, and I am proud to be working with them. I am proud to know each of these six women, and to take part in their fight for the details, their fight to make hard lives a little bit softer, a little bit brighter.

4 comments:

MontrealGurl said...

I wish the world had a lot more Heathers and less reasons for needing housing like that.

Thanks to you friend for being a beautiful human being.

Heather said...

Aw....thanks Montreal Gurl. You're pretty fantan yourself!

MontrealGurl said...

...yeah, I know.

X said...

It's awesome that you're doing this Heath! I definately look up to you :)