Thursday, August 03, 2006

And so here’s the thing

I’ve always had a really hard time trying to come up with headlines for things. I seriously contemplated my deserving of a spot in Concordia’s Journalism school when it came to my feature writing class. I could bang out the actual story no problem. Ask me to name the thing? Forget it. I became a nail-biting wreck.

It logically follows then, that I had a ridiculously hard time trying to name this site. Everyone seems to have such clever, witty and though-provoking ideas, and I was drawing such a blank. Or, such a grey. A lot of things really are grey to me, and I find that as the older I get, the less sure I am of many things, situations and people –even the ones I thought I had all figured out.

Since I was a teenager, I kept a sort of mental tally, developed and refined first with friends over bowls of buttered popcorn and plastic cups of Diet Coke, later over glasses of wine in smoky bars. The list included things I truly believed I knew for sure, about myself, about others, and my inevitable collide with those ‘others.’ Top on the list: infidelity. Would never accept it. This was agreed upon with vigorous nods from friends, waving cigarette-clutching and slightly drunken hands, declaring, ‘oh my God NEVER.’ Second: violence from a partner. Non-negotiable. ‘I’d be out of there SO fast…I’d make his head spin…I’d knock him back one…I’d tell all his friends…I’D tell his mother.’ Right. Check. The list went on to include things such as never getting involved with a married man, never sacrificing career for a man, etc, etc.

Now, as I look back and remember those heady days of declaration, I feel somewhat humbled. Who was I, who were we, to pass judgement on what the future would hold for us, and ultimately what our responses would be to those instances? As I recall that list, I shamefully admit that I’ve had to cross some of those items off, because I didn’t initially live up to my own expectations. There was always a ‘but’ always a ‘it’s different this time,’ always an excuse, a justification, a rationalization to make it be ok –to paint the grey over with a gloss of pure white.

It is all grey to me. I feel grey to me. And yet, I think that maybe what this really means is that as I start to discard some of my fast-held convictions, I’m replacing them with acceptance, for myself, for the friend who went back and went back again, for the family member who crossed my weakened and faltering boundary, for the man who said he just wasn’t strong enough.

After all, to be human is to err, and then to do it again, harder, faster and stronger than the first time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that trying to define us before the actual "competition" is a needed milestone in one’s life. For the earliest that I can remember I did about the same as you. I decided what kind of man I will be, I defined the boundaries that I would never cross… and in the end I guess only a few of them remains. Sometimes it made me wonder, what have I become?

But you soon realise that without those experience, without those time where you went to the grey side, you would never be the person you are today. It’s our scars that will remind us of the battles we fought and our medals that will justify the decisions we’ve made.

You better have remorse than regrets !

X said...

I really enjoyed this post, Heath. :)

I think as we grow up we start to realise that it's not only black and white and pretty much everything has a grey area - it just depends how far we are willing to venture in the grey area on certain issues.

Plus, I love your title. I've always been meaning to change mine, but I just never got around to it. A year and a half later, lol, I don't know if it's even worth it!

PS: You and the Diet Coke ;)

Heather said...

Katie, I love your title! Don't mess with a great thing, sister...

Anonymous said...

I grew up thinking I'd look like Magnum P.I., be as brave and crazy as Martin Riggs, and as sly and tough as Dr. Jones.

I've been to the park called Disillusionment and Life Lessons. It's an awful place but I left it with a gift bag, labelled wisdom.