Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The Golden Rule of School

He has kind, pale blue, watery eyes and an affable smile. He’s gentle, soft-spoken, unassuming and thoughtful. He’s pensive, reflective, intellectually curious and mindful.

He’s the competition.

I had my last summer class last night. A few of us scrambled over to the photocopier in the Hall Building afterwards, trading notes from missed classes back and forth. John* and I got to talking about why we were taking this class, as it had come up before that we both already hold undergraduate degrees and as such, this course is not a necessity for graduation.

Our stories, as they unfolded, were conspicuously similar. We had both applied to the same Master’s program and were both initially denied entrance. We had both visited with the same graduate director, meetings from which we both, albeit unknowingly, walked away with the exact same advice. We’re both taking the same class in the fall; we’re both applying again in November.

‘They take ten people!’ I sputtered, nervous and anxious in the face of such stark competition. He could be number 10, taking up the last, coveted spot, I told myself. And yet, I found myself rambling on and on about how I had been told to ask this particular professor for a reference letter, how I had been advised to take this course as opposed to that one. As I passed on these words of wisdom that have disturbed my sleep and ruled my free time for the past few months, I realized that this, this is why I am not, and will never be, competitive.

When I was in high school, for some reason that remains unknown to me until this day, I made the basketball team. I was a horrible player. What?! You expect me to get in someone’s WAY? I have to BLOCK someone? What if I hurt their feelings? What if their parents are watching and I make them miss their shot? How are they going to feel then? I once got yanked off the court for being too ‘friendly’ with the other team.

“Heather, get your pink-ribboned head over here NOW,” Mr. Baxter shouted, seething, his vein-cluttered eyes popping. “Stop yapping with the other team. We’re trying to BEAT them, in case you haven’t realized!”

I was dumbfounded. I had just made friends with a girl who was going to be attending the same CEGEP as me next year. This was great! Who cared about the stupid game? What did it matter who actually won the thing?

I thought about this last night as I was talking to John*. Sure, his Liberal-Arts-College-Ottawa-lobbyist-totally-kick-ass-smart background might earn him a spot in this Master’s program. If it does, he’ll deserve it. And, if my advice helps a little, well then, so be it. I would want him to do the same thing for me.

And so, as he lightly touched my elbow, looked me straight in the eyes and said, ‘good luck Heather, I really hope we both get in,’ I knew he meant it, and I knew I had probably made a friend. And that makes me feel a lot better than being a death-eating, competitive monster.

7 comments:

X said...

You don't want to be competitive. Trust me, I know from experience. I'm not in a happy place today....so I'm back to the "I hate people" motto Sarah G and I made up in J 201. Bleh.

And you're so going to get in so shush :)

Anonymous said...

I just hope you're not trying to get into Mcgill, as my only advice is, go to Toronto.

Anonymous said...

and anyway, when you both get in, he'll still be competive and say snarky things at your party.
But then, maybe I'm just bitter.

Anonymous said...

i'm not overly competitive at anything which is a problem. i'm glad that you can look at this situation with an optimistic outlook.


if not, i am sure you can hook up with your other friends who can do a tonya harding-jeff gilooly number on john's "knee"

Anonymous said...

Competetiveness is over rated. You are an achieved and caring individual.Remember..it's a good life and people like you make it so.

Anonymous said...

Being competetive is over rated. You are a caring and achieved individual. Remember, it is a good life and people like you make it so.

Shears said...

For factual, documented efficacy, Phen375 is clearly the much smarter option when it comes to selecting a fat loss formula. Instead of relying on anecdotal evidence, Phen375 is made from all-organic pharmaceutical-grade ingredients in FDA approved laboratories. The answer to this question is not as difficult as it may seem. But, time it out right and you will begin to see better success with any diet or weight loss plan. 3.You will get to know the more hundreds of highly satisfied customers