Sunday, December 03, 2006

She's come undone

I guess it’s a good sign that I didn’t drive home crying. That I didn’t come home to sink into a bath with a cup of tea only to emerge red-eyed and discouraged. I guess it’s a good thing that I walked away with a smile, and phoned a close friend to giggle like a 16-year old girl and say, ‘guess what?’ And to feel her smile back at you through the phone because she knows.

It’s the glimmer of something you can’t quite name in the eyes that meet yours across the table, the glimmer, as you talk of elementary school plays and family vacations that seems to say, ‘I understand, and it’s ok. I understand, and I like you anyway.’

6 comments:

Mood Indigo said...

thank God for girlfriends who get it.

Anonymous said...

Hooray for girlfriends. They are our true family, sometimes.

Honestly - I think if it wasn't for a few true friends of mine, I would have lost my mind a long time ago.

Anonymous said...

Wise words as seen on a fridge magnet - Friends are the family we choose for ourselves.

Heather said...

MG: That, or friends are God's way of apologizing for our families.

X said...

Sometimes having those friends that can understand without even uttering a word is more valuable than anything else in life. Well, maybe not as valuable as having friends that can shop til they drop...but I digress.

Anonymous said...

:-) Trouble is, most of my close friends are boys.