Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Cost of a good deed? Why, that will be $42!

About three months ago, I was named editor of Aids Community Care Montreal’s newspaper. It’s a nifty little publication, and in my humble opinion, does an excellent job of tying what is already a pretty close community even closer together. And so, I don’t mind battling 4:30 traffic to the complete other side of the city after a day’s work, to hole up in a church basement, pouring over articles, placing graphics, putting in commas and coming up with headlines until 11 o’clock at night. What I DO mind is coming outside, completely exhausted, hungry and ready for bed, to find a GD $42, soaking wet parking ticket on my car.

Montreal, sometimes you really, really suck.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

No good deed goes unpunished. So it IS true! ...gah...

husk said...

I have videos of those traffic-control "red cars" that work for the city, commiting illegal left turns right before giving a ticket to parked cars in front of my appartment (which happens every thursday) -- I even walked down to point it out to them at some point, but they didn't appreciate the irony.

Arthur Willoughby said...

I personally feel that people should get a couple of "good citizen chits" to burn each year. The judge should look at your record and say "Hmmm, she works...she's responsible...she's not on the public dole...let's rip that ticket in half, shall we?"

Anonymous said...

AP: Here here!!!

Mood Indigo said...

I'm with Apathy - whenever I'm speeding to get to some sort of worthy cause I pray that if pulled over that will matter to the cop. Probably not worth betting on. Still - kudos to you for your good deed, parking ticket be damned.

S'Mat said...

s'misanthrope here.. i've been recently more and more of the opinion that life is just arbitrary. there is no cosmic balance, and all we have is our willingness to try our best. in a just world, that parking stooge would wake up in the middle of the night in a bedful of spontaneously apparating itch-slugs. but alas, if those slugs did exist, they'd be busier than Santa is at crunch-time.

Anonymous said...

Were you parked in a No Parking zone?

Heather said...

Um, anonymous: totally beside the point.

Anonymous said...

Then why did you get a ticket? Certainly not for your good deed.