Thursday, April 10, 2008

Remembering

I remember the dates of everything. This can be annoying to people around me, but I seem to have a remarkable memory for recalling the day, the month, the year of situations that had an impact on me.

And so, it has been very close to a year since the night his leg wrapped around mine underneath the table, cutting short the conversation I was having with the drunken girl beside me. As our eyes, colour still unfamiliar, met, I knew that the look on his face would remain a burned image in my brain for a long time to come.

The months that ensued were a whirlwind and ones also not soon forgotten. And yet, it's so strange that while I can recall so many of the dates, the times, the places, spaces, faces, the month, the week, the day, when it comes to the moment, oh, that cruel moment, when everything shifted, I cannot remember, cannot remember at all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing how we can look back and not know precisely when it happened. All we know is that it has. And it's done. And now all we are left with are the images burned in our mind forever. Well, until they too get shifted by another image that proves far more vivid. Far more pleasant. Far more.

Heather said...

Anonymous: Thanks. And Christ, I hope so.

Anonymous said...

I’m not good with dates, times and things like that, never have been but I can remember every single moment of every single minute, of every single day that she and I spent together no matter how insignificant it may be. Images of her etched into my mind and even after months of not speaking or seeing her I run through these moments’ day in and day out, every minute of everyday. These images that run through my mind like wild fire, that keep me awake at night, that make me smile for no reason and at times make me cry for reasons only known to her and I. My thoughts racing with what ifs and questions that I will more then likely never get any answers too because no matter how vivid, how real and how much I hold onto these memories hoping that some how she will one day return, the sad reality of it all is that her memories of us, of me and what we meant to each other have faded into nothingness and she is now making new memories… with someone else…

Thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and feelings and doing so in such an honest and thought provoking way. You have an extraordinary gift and I for one am glad that you share it with us…