Sunday, April 01, 2007

The last supper

I went out for dinner on Friday evening with some girls I know through work. Sitting at a table slightly behind us was a group of four women, roughly between the ages of 45-50.

Amidst their chatter of husbands and a lack thereof, of high school curriculum, the benefits of probiotics, of mortgages and Disney World vacations, each woman took a systematic turn at cutting a small bite of carrot cake from the slice that sat on a plate in front of them. It was comical to watch the pattern that developed; bits and bites, decreasing in size were removed from the hunk, as no one wanted to assume responsibility for attacking the middle. The cake took on the distinct appearance of a top-heavy, withered apple core, finally toppling over in collapsed, weakened surrender. The four forks took turns hovering, none making the daring move to dive in. The cake lay there, under the forlorn glances of its polite consumers.

Meanwhile, at a table across the room, sat roughly 12 men, between the ages of 25-35. Working like a well-oiled machine, slices of pizza, french fries and slugs of beer were traded back and forth across the table, unabashed hands reaching, swapping, slapping away.

Sometimes, I think men have got a really, really good thing going.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Your description of feeding approaches along those gender lines makes me think, shit! I eat like a man!

Sometimes I feel our attitudes as women towards food is oddly akin to what they used to be about sex in Victorian times, in that we don't allow ourselves to indulge with un self-concious carnal abandon. Instead we see it as a shameful but neceassary act frought with undesireable repercussions.

Eve said...

I'll bet that those same women have had unabashed pig-outs standing in front of their refrigerators, eating from the center of the cake.

Heather said...

Sadia and Eve - I think you're definitely both onto something. Which is why one of my favourite books is entitled, 'If you're going to eat in front of the refrigerator, pull up a chair.'
Amen.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea there was a way I was supposed to behave when out with girlfriends. I'm usually the one reaching for the wings and beer. LOL :)

Heather said...

Zoey - as you should! The last thing on earth we need are men who perpetuate the entire 'I don't want to be seen eating in public' scenario.
Bring it.

Arthur Willoughby said...

My wife and I are polite with desserts to the point of ridiculous. Neither of us ever wants to take the last bite; when all is said and done we've cut it into sub-atomic particles and still keep trying.

I had a pizza lunch at work once and the company's owner had just come from a restroom stall...without washing his hands. I tried desperately to give a non-verbal signal to my co-workers, but to no avail.

Men are pigs. Women have the right idea.

Heather said...

Arthur: Fair enough. But seriously, ditch that politeness. I have a philosophy when it comes to anything sugar-laced: It's every man for himself!

Arthur Willoughby said...

I find that the more dessert I concede...the greater likelihood I'll receive "sugar" later.

I shan't elaborate.

Heather said...

Arthur, you make me laugh. So it's strategic dessert sacrificing then...:)