Monday, January 22, 2007

A guide

I feel I can say this because I have been on the receiving end of a broken heart myself.

And I can honestly say that while yes I did indeed resort to eating ice cream directly from the tub, I did get ridiculously, falling-down, embarrassingly drunk, I did call my girlfriends in the middle of the night, bawling, I did listen to David Gray and cried until my face hurt, I did max out a credit card and I did call in sick to work.

I joined a gym; I joined a new gym. I worked at a gym.

I took a yoga class, I oil painted. I took a feminist literature class, I cut my hair, I grew it out again, and I resorted to all the other token, get-over-him tactics that any girl in the depths of despair would turn to when her world feels as though it has been shattered and her heart feels like it’s been put through a meat grinder and then strained, just for good measure.

But for the love of God.

I didn’t continue to text message him with little notes that read *hugs* every week. (Isn’t it painfully obvious that when someone decides to take leave of your relationship that they likely don’t want you hugging them anymore? And what are we, 13?)

I didn’t send a barrage of e-mails.

Nor did I elect to attach copies of my political science essays to those e-mails in the hopes of impressing him with my witty (wordy?) examinations of social democracy.

I didn’t call at 2:30 in the morning, two weeks after the fact, asking if we could 'talk.'

I didn’t send birthday cards and I sure as hell didn’t send flowers.

So P.S.

You shouldn’t either.

6 comments:

Jo said...

Just tell him to fuck off, it usually works. But you need to get straight to the point, you can't hurt more than you already did, well... maybe you can, but do you really care now?

Heather said...

Jo -wanna do it for me? I'm not so good with the follow through :)

Anonymous said...

maybe he's trying to irritate you? I mean serioulsy, I can't think of a single person who would try to impress anyone they've recently been dumped by with a political science essay.
And you seem to have actually READ it.

Heather said...

I only read a very little bit.
Honest.

Ray said...

-Broken hearts make you stronger.I am a true believer that experience is everything.
-Having loved and lost lets you relate to the rest of the world that has never found someone to coo over or has loved and lost.
-Broken hearts make you realize how precious special relationships are...I took for granted the girl that made me smile continously...and thats why it fell apart.

S'Mat said...

I think what he might be experiencing is the 'double-edger', where one relates to someone, something goes wrong between the two, and the only person who can help fix or talk about it is the same person now removed..